Subject: Odor in Indian books

Odor in Indian books

From: Alice Bear <abconser>
Date: Friday, January 14, 1994
Re: the 10 Jan 94 message on residual odor in Indian books.  I travelled
in India at the end of 1986 and visited a couple of conservation studios
there.  Ethylene oxide was the fumigant of choice: nice big chambers,
sitting there looking lethal. I don't know if there is a residual smell.
I have visited the India Records Office in London.  They receive an
incredible amount of material from India, and do some interesting
conservation there, too.  They are probably a generally overlooked
resource.

Alice Bear
Conservation of Works of Art on Paper

                 Distributed: Tuesday, January 18, 1994