Subject: NOTIS Preservation Interest Group

NOTIS Preservation Interest Group

From: Barbara Sagraves <sagraves>
Date: Tuesday, January 11, 1994
To the members of the NOTIS Preservation Interest Group:

This is an open call for a new chair.  Catherine Larson has graciously
chaired this special interest group on an interim basis during my
maternity leave.  Now that I have returned I am unable to devote my full
attention to the leadership of the group.  For that reason I am
appealing to the members who are at NOTIS sites to come forward and
volunteer to chair the SIG.

In the past such calls have been unsuccessful.  Members cite lack of
time, travel funding, and other commitments; all reasons that I can
easily identify with.  But given our past difficulty in securing a new
chair, and that our central issue, a binding system, is not a subject
exclusive to preservation, and the fact that there seems to be little
interest in keeping this SIG going as a separate group, means that the
SIG will cease to exist as a separate entity when my term expires at the
end of February 1994.  This is not a decision I make lightly but given
the circumstances it is the only alternative.

There is no SIG meeting scheduled for ALA midwinter.  Should you desire
to remain active in a NOTIS SIG I suggest you attend a meeting of the
Serials Interest Group which is co-chaired this year by Susan Davis and
Ruth Christ.

I am available to discuss this matter with any member and can be reached
by phone at (708) 491-7786 or e-mail at sagraves [at] nuacvm__acns__nwu__edu.

Sincerely,
Barbara Sagraves
Chair, NOTIS Preservation Interest Group
Preservation Department
Northwestern University Library

                Distributed: Wednesday, January 12, 1994