Subject: Photocopiers

Photocopiers

From: Everett C. Wilkie Jr. <everett>
Date: Saturday, January 8, 1994
George,

I saw your question about "book-saving" photocopiers.  You might find
our experience here useful.

We have an Oce copier and it has been all that the company promised.
The platen extends to the edge of the copier, so books have to be opened
only partway to be copied--about 100 degrees, I'd guess.  The machine
has been a lifesaver for our materials.

We rented the machine for five years, after which the purchase price was
paid. We now pay only for maintenance.  Maintenance is very simple.  The
machine is bolted shut, so the only we can do is add paper.  Service is
prompt.  It has almost never been needed.  The company has been in
several times to add upgrades, at no additional cost to us.  In short,
the thing has proven to be a tank, and is by far the most dependable of
all the photocopiers we have in the building.

The company offers all sorts of options, none of which we
use--collators, coin/key card operation, etc.  But, I assume their
dependability would be comparable.

I'd be happy to discuss the machine we have further.  Give me a call, if
you wish.  But, I do highly recommend the company and their products.

Oh, yes--the Widener at Harvard is full of Oce's.  You might contact them
for their experiences.  They would have far heavier volume than we do.

    Anytime, anywhere number: 0-700-EWILKIE
    "If you did not receive this fax... please call 213-236-2328"
    --ALA Housing Bureau

Everett C. Wilkie, Jr.
Head Librarian and Crofut Curator
of Rare Books & Manuscripts
The Connecticut Historical Society
1 Elizabeth Street
Hartford, CT 06105 USA
203-236-5621 x250
Fax: 203-236-2664

                Distributed: Wednesday, January 12, 1994