Subject: Photocopiers

Photocopiers

From: Wendy Wasman <aa569>
Date: Saturday, January 8, 1994
Our library purchased a Xerox 5042 BookSaver about 3 years ago.  We have
been very happy with its ease of use, clarity of copies, and ability to
withstand heavy duty photocopying.  This machine has needed little
maintenance (a yearly "check-up" with a Xerox rep.; we did replace the
oil pump last year, however).  The machine is not in a public use area,
but we do make hundreds of photocopies each month for our curators and
visitors to the library.  Other libraries in this area use them in
high-volume public use areas with good results.  This machine is like
the good ol' Xerox machines we used to use...with the dropped edge and
no-frills operation.  We are thrilled with the results when copying from
large, fragile books, especially scrapbooks from the Archives.  The
copying surface is large and the bevelled book edge does seem to protect
the bindings from the kind of damage that results from using the copiers
with just a flat surface.  On the negative side, the copy contrast can
be selected only between lighter and darker and the variation is
minimal.  It is pretty much useless for copying glossy color photos.

                Distributed: Wednesday, January 12, 1994