Subject: Odor in Indian books

Odor in Indian books

From: Tom Strang <tom=strang%crs%cci=hq=admah>
Date: Monday, January 10, 1994
Several years back we had several opportunities to check the odour given
off from boxes of books sent from India.  The clients were concerned
that they might be smelling a fumigant.  We performed two analyses with
GC-MSD on headspace samples looking for bromine peaks.  At the time
methyl bromide was considered the most likely fumigant.  Bromine was not
detected.

Tom Strang
Conservation Scientist
Canadian Conservation Institute

                Distributed: Wednesday, January 12, 1994