Subject: Brittle books procedures

Brittle books procedures

From: Laura Brown <labn>
Date: Friday, January 7, 1994
We have just finished a trial period for a proposed brittle book
procedure. As we go to make revisions and amendments, I am curious to
know how other research libraries are handing their brittle books after
they have been identified and searched. Are bibliographers involved and,
if so, at what stage? Are the books removed from the circulating
collection or boxed and returned to the shelves? Are brittle books
allowed to be checked out? These are just a few of the questions that
have come up in the last six months. Any and all information will
greatly appreciated.

You can respond directly to me by email, or by snail mail:

    Laura Brown
    Preservation Department
    Rush Rhees Library
    University of Rochester