Subject: Recruiting conservators

Recruiting conservators

From: Jeavons Baillie <jeavonsb>
Date: Monday, January 3, 1994
The State Library of Victoria, Melbourne, Australia has for several
years been trying to fill a position for a mid-career conservator to
take direction of the treatment component of the Library's preservation
program.

The starting salary is A$39,664-41,693 (Approximately US$28,000) and the
position is as permanent as anything is these days.

The position has been advertised nationally and with IIC, AIC, CAN,
Abbey Newsletter and IPC.  Recruitment action has been initiated twice
but the successful applicants have withdrawn.

The Conservation Dept. has a fluctuating establishment hovering around
18, subject to funding of short term projects such as preparing
collections to move in the course of a major redevelopment the Library
is undergoing and other tasks we undertake with non-recurrent operating
funds.

The collections include some of the oldest and most significant
drawings, photographs, maps, newspapers and manuscripts as well as books
in Australian libraries having been established and well funded in the
nineteenth century.

If there are problems with the job they relate to the cramped conditions
in the laboratory/work spaces.  However, the redevelopment is expected
to bring relief in mid 1996.

Rather we see the problem as being a lack of people at the right level
of professional development, nationally and internationally.

We would still be interested in filling the position as it stands but
are starting to think about other solutions to the problem.

The need is to have in house a well qualified practitioner capable of
training and supervising capable personnel and managing the day to day
operations of the Lab where flat sheet work is undertaken.   The person
would also be responsible for ensuring that consistent technical
standards apply to all treatments, including work undertaken in the
Bindery.

We may consider a team approach instead.  The danger of  of this is that
the person charged with ensuring that the administrative tasks are dealt
with is viewed less favourably and thus disadvantaged.

I would like suggestions on:

    1. Other ways I could advertise the job to attract people.
    2. Any likely candidates.
    3. Other suggestions for dealing with the problem:

and accounts of how others are dealing with similar situations.

Jeavons Baillie
Chief Conservator

                 Distributed: Thursday, January 6, 1994