Conservation DistList Archives [Date] [Subject] [Author] [SEARCH]

Subject: Bookbinding method

Bookbinding method

From: Brian J. Baird <bjbaird>
Date: Monday, January 3, 1994
The binding Peter Graham asked about is called a burst binding.  It is
made up of signatures that are slit along the folds and hot melt
adhesive is forced into the slits to hold the gatherings together. In my
opinion, having seen thousands of these type bindings, I rate them below
perfect bindings (hot melt adhesive bindings used to bind loose leaves
together).  Burst bindings tend to break down at the front and back of
the book and whole signatures will literally pop out of the book. If the
book is for personal use make sure that you take time to train the book
to open while it is new and the adhesive is still flexible.  As the
years go by the glue gets harder and harder.

Brian J. Baird
Princeton University Libraries
One Washington Road
Princeton, NJ 08544
(609) 258-2451

                  Conservation DistList Instance 7:48
                 Distributed: Thursday, January 6, 1994
                        Message Id: cdl-7-48-001
Received on Monday, 3 January, 1994

[Search all CoOL documents]