Subject: Bookbinding method

Bookbinding method

From: Peter Graham <psgraham>
Date: Monday, December 20, 1993
Query re binding technique:  in re recent Clarendon Press bindings.
Could someone knowledgeable take a look at some recent (1993, I think
later in the year) Clarendon Press books (i.e. OUP but with Clarendon
imprint) and tell me about the binding used?  It looks to me like
signatures are embedded in a glue, and not sewn (though I seem to see
stabbing indications and bits of paper flecking out from the inside at
times).

The books I'm asking about have all been printed by "Bookcraft (Bath)
Ltd,/ Misdomer Norton, Avon" as indicated on the t.p. verso at the
bottom.

I wouldn't think "perfect" binding would be the term to use but I'm not
sure what is.  Is the binding comparable to a sewn binding in terms of
longevity and ease of use? --pg

Peter Graham
Rutgers University Libraries
169 College Ave.
New Brunswick, NJ 08903
908-932-5908
Fax: 908-932-5888

                Distributed: Thursday, December 23, 1993