Subject: Time capsules

Time capsules

From: Mary Todd Glaser <nedcc>
Date: Thursday, December 16, 1993
Hugh Phipps and I are interested in what happens to paper artifacts that
have been sealed for many years in a "safe" environment.  Has anyone
examined materials from a newly opened time capsule?

Here at NEDCC we see examples of failed capsules, where water has seeped
in and caused varying degrees of damage, but what about materials in
capsules that succeed? About 20 years ago I heard of, but did not see, a
case in New Jersey where everything was perfectly preserved after a
century.

I can be contacted via email: nedcc [at] world__std__com or

    Mary Todd Glaser
    Northeast Document Conservation Center
    100 Brickstone Square
    Andover, MA 01810
    (508) 470-1010

Hugh Phipps can be reached at the National Gallery in Washington, DC,
(202) 842-6607.

Mary Todd Glaser

                Distributed: Thursday, December 16, 1993