Subject: Computer programs for boxmaking

Computer programs for boxmaking

From: Brian J. Baird <bjbaird>
Date: Thursday, November 18, 1993
In answer to Milan Hughston's query about computer programs for the Mac
for making boxes, I would suggest you make your own program to meet your
own needs.  At Princeton we use a spreadsheet program into which we
enter the three dimensions of the book that we want boxed.  The program
then calculates the dimensions of the boards and provides measurements
for the folds.  The program itself is fairly straight forward.  It is
just a matter of inputting the simple formulas that you use now for
making a box.  You have to figure the dimension of the book, plus the
thickness of the board and so on. Once you have the program made you
will need to fine tune it so that you get the box to fit right.  Our
program has proven to be a big time saver.

The most sophisticated program I have seen for boxmaking is used at New
York Public Library.  It is a Mac based system that provides box
dimensions and labels for the box--very impressive.

Brian J. Baird
Assistant Preservation Librarian
and General Collections Conservator
Princeton University Libraries
One Washington Road
Princeton, NJ 08544
(609) 258-2451

                Distributed: Thursday, November 25, 1993