Subject: Deferred binding of paperbacks

Deferred binding of paperbacks

From: Lynn Jones <ljones>
Date: Friday, November 19, 1993
More on practices for limiting binding of monographs.

Since 1991 Berkeley has rather severely limited binding of new
monographs (i.e., paperbacks) primarily to those items that are unable
to be shelved if not bound.  In practice this means we bind on receipt
pamphlets thinner than 1/8", things shorter than 6", things that have
separate material, like maps, to be bound in, or things that have been
identified as heavy use.  Using these criteria we have reduced our
monographic binding to about 40% of what it once was.

At any time after the item is sent to the shelf it can be sent for
binding at the initiation of the shelving unit's staff.  This usually
happens after a few uses have produced some visible wear.

Recently we did a little study of how much material is being sent for
binding after use under these criteria.  It appear that about 15% of
paperbacks we are binding have been used first.  Of these, about 80% can
still be bound either as pamphlets or re-using the paper covers in a
lamination we call "Mylar" binding.  Only about 15% - 20% must now be
bound in the more expensive cloth binding because the paper covers are
too damaged to use.

As long as the library public service units continue to send these
paperbacks for binding soon after some use is evident this strategy is
producing substantial savings for us, permitting greater use of the
binding budget for periodicals and other services.

                Distributed: Thursday, November 25, 1993