Subject: Paper stock for rubbings

Paper stock for rubbings

From: Brett Charbeneau <bwchar>
Date: Monday, November 15, 1993
On my question about usable paper for taking rubbings of tools on
bindings, thanks to those who helpfully responded to my recent queries
on the list.

Mary Reinsch Sackett <egj2g1y [at] mvs__oac__ucla__edu> was kind enough to offer
the following:

>Brett, The paper that I use for getting impressions of binding
>decoration and tooling is purchased through Archivart and/or Paper
>Technologies. It is called smooth buffered barrier tissue. Their address
>is:
>
>    929 Calle Negocio, Unit D
>    San Clemente, CA 92673
>    714-366-8799
>
>Archivart's:
>
>    7 Caesar Place,
>    Moonachie, NJ.
>    201-804-8986.

I also asked about references on fiber identification in papers, to
which Ann Dodge <ap201078 [at] brownvm__brown__edu> was kind enough to send the
following:

>Thomas Collings and Derek Milner have  written four articles for the
>Paper Conservator. The first appeared in volume 3 (1978) and is titled
>"The Identification of Oriental Paper-making Fibres".  Then in vol 4
>(1979) their piece "The Identification of Non-wood Paper- making Fibres,
>Part 2" appeared. (Part one is the 1978 article) Part 3 appeared in
>volume 7 (1982/3) and is called "The Identification of Non-wood
>Paper-Making Fibres". Then in vol 8 they wrote "The Nature and
>Identification of Cotton Papermaking Fibers in Paper". If you don't have
>access to The Paper Conservator it is available from the
>
>    Institute of Paper Conservation
>    Leigh Lodge
>    Leigh, Worcestershire
>    WR6 5LB, England
>    Fax: 086 833688.
>
>The cost is 10 pounds or $20 for each volume. Hope this helps.

I very much appreciate the much-needed references!

Brett Charbeneau
Williamsburg Imprints Program
Colonial Williamsburg Foundation
P.O. Box 1776-MHW
Williamsburg, VA 23187
804-229-1000
Fax: 804-221-8948

               Distributed: Wednesday, November 17, 1993