Subject: Deferred binding of paperbacks

Deferred binding of paperbacks

From: James W. Mason <masonjw>
Date: Tuesday, November 16, 1993
Sara Williams (hi, Sara) asks about criteria used to decide when to not
bind a paperback.  At Kansas State, just earlier this month, I spoke
with the bibliographers and developed guidelines for a "Do Not Bind"
policy.  We, too, are having to loosen our strict "Bind It" policy and
are leaving that decision to the bibliographer (mostly).

Do Not Bind might be used for:

    books that are cataloged but kept in an office

    items that are sturdy & heavy even though covered by plastic or
        paper

    items that are better placed in ring-binders

    books that are going to be low or no use (such as gifts)

    books that cannot be bound (brittle paper; no gutter)

Of course, I note at the end of the policy guidelines that problem items
may be brought to the attention of the preservationist.  And I add to
*not* attach "sticky notes" to things sent to me.

Jim

               Distributed: Wednesday, November 17, 1993