Subject: Primer on disaster preparedness, management, and response

Primer on disaster preparedness, management, and response

From: Diana Alper <x6a>
Date: Friday, November 12, 1993
       **** Moderator's comments: The documents described below have
       been added to Conservation OnLine (CoOL) in the database
       cool-cfl. As always, if you need the CoOL documentation, send
       INFO COOL to waiscool [at] aldus__stanford__edu

    It is with the greatest pleasure that I present, on behalf of the
    Smithsonian Institution, Library of Congress, National Park Service,
    and National Archives and Records Administration, "A Primer on
    Disaster Preparedness, Management, and Response: Paper-Based
    Materials."  This publication, a unique cooperative effort among our
    institutions, will soon be available in Spanish. The publication has
    been produced and distributed in commemoration of Arts and
    Humanities Month and Hispanic Heritage Month, October 1993.

    During the past several years the United States has seen many
    natural and man-made disasters including major fires, hurricanes and
    floods.  The contributors, all preservation or curatorial staff,
    developed the concept for this project in response to ongoing
    requests for information about disaster preparedness and recovery.
    In order to efficiently provide the public with useful information
    in a period of limited resources, they have completely revised four
    basic references and combined them into one publication.  These
    articles are free from any copying restrictions and we encourage you
    to distribute them as widely as needed.

    The electronic version is available as six separate files,
    DISASTER.README (this letter), DISASTER.PART1OF5, DISASTER.PART2OF5,
    etc., on an NIH FTP subdirectory.  The FTP directory can be accessed
    by FTPing to FTP.CU.NIH.GOV (128.231.64.7).  Log on as an anonymous
    user; press enter at password prompt (or type in 'guest' or your
    internet address). The directory in which this information is stored
    is NARA_PRESERVATION (CD NARA_PRESERVATION).  Use the FTP GET
    command to retrieve the publication.

    The compilers have expressed an interest in continued collaboration.
    I urge you to contact our Preservation Policy and Services Division
    (NNP), National Archives and Records Administration, Washington, DC,
    20408, to suggest additional topics for consideration.  You can also
    contact them via BITNET at X6A@NIHCU or via the Internet at
    x6a [at] cu__nih__gov.

    Sincerely,

    Trudy Huskamp Peterson
    Acting Archivist
    of the United States

Diana Alper
Regional Preservation Coordinator
National Archives and Records Administration

                 Distributed: Sunday, November 14, 1993