Subject: Labelling

Labelling

From: Becky Ryder <rjryde01>
Date: Tuesday, October 19, 1993
At the University of Kentucky, we plan to reclassify and relabel about
500,000 volumes in the next 2 years before moving into our new central
library.  Feature that a certain amount of pre-moving chaos will be the
backdrop for this project, so we are looking for efficient, swift but
permanent re-labelling operations.

We plan to contract out the label production process.  I would
appreciate any information that the list readers might offer about
labels vendors and about types of labels.  For instance:

    1.  What vendors have you used?  With what success?

    2.  What experience have you had with heat application (SE-LIN) vs.
        pressure sensitive labels?  [similar to Debra McKern's query of
        Oct. 1]

    3.  What overlays or clear protective shields have you used?
        Problems with oozing adhesives?

    4.  What preservation issues (first, do no harm) did you encounter
        when deciding about a type of label?  What costs?

   If you have information or insights, please respond to me.  Thanks.

Becky Ryder
Head, Preservation Dept.
301 King Library North
University of Kentucky
Lexington, KY  40506-0039

                Distributed: Wednesday, October 20, 1993