Subject: Air filtration systems

Air filtration systems

From: Sheryl Davis <davis5>
Date: Tuesday, October 5, 1993
We are in the process of designing a new science library. We requested
the architects plan a filtration system that would remove most
pollutants in our smoggy area. We suggested they compare Alumina and
carbon filters.

The results are that they recommend a system that uses both types. The
question they put to us is a choice between two configurations of these
filters. Either system would be placed in the main air-intake area of
the building and all incoming air would be forced through them.

One would be a single "wall" patchwork of two-foot squares mixing the
two types of filters. The other design calls for two walls, one of each
type of filter.

The advantage of the second type is it would filter 99% of the
pollutants on the first pass where as the air would need to go through
the patchwork several times to achieve that level.

The decision would seem easy based upon just that information. However,
the air pressure needed to force the air through TWO walls (as opposed
to one patchwork) would significantly increase the costs.

Does anyone out there have information or opinions that would shed light
(or air) upon this subject?

Thank you.
Sheryl Davis
Preservation Officer