Subject: Fumigation

Fumigation

From: Alison Oswald <alo>
Date: Friday, October 1, 1993
I have received two transfile boxes of additional material for a
collection I am processing. Prior to the boxes arriving I was informed
that silver fish may exist. I isolated the boxes in a cool, dry
environment and opened them to some air and to examine the contents. I
also examined for mold and fungus growth and to see what I was up
against. My question is, what does a small archive that is quite
isolated in Virginia do about fumigating? There is no possibility of
sending it to a chamber-limited funds. Can I fumigate myself with some
commercial product and if so, how and where in the building? The boxes
contain military medals, photographs and manuscripts. I am concerned
that using some fumigant may react with the medals, the emulsion on the
photographs and leave a residue. I would greatly appreciate any
suggestions to literature or another individual.

Alison L. Oswald
Washington and Lee University
Law School Archives
Lexington, Virginia