Subject: SE-LIN labels

SE-LIN labels

From: Debra Mckern <mckern>
Date: Friday, October 1, 1993
I would be interested in hearing from those of you who have moved away
from use of the Se-Lin (heat-activated) labels to a pressure-sensitive
label in call number labeling. Many library systems can readily produce
a call number label as the end process of cataloging, allowing materials
to get to the shelf more quickly.  As far as I know, this is done using
a pressure-sensitive label, not the heat-activated label.  Although
Gaylord makes a version of the Se-Lin device which mounts on a dot
matrix printer, several libraries report problems in using it.

I know of the ASTM standards committee which is looking into the issue
of barcode and other labels and trust that they will address the issues
of longevity.   My question involves more practical experience.  Who has
automated this process and how? Can this process be done in cataloging
without detracting from their primary mission?  We are considering a
pilot project for a small collection of materials.  Any recommendations
or advice in general?

I also have a slightly different question.   Does anyone use a
heat-activated label for barcoding?  LC has always had a policy of using
only heat-activated labels because of our parallel concerns for
preservation and security.  I consider revisiting this policy given the
advancements in adhesives.  I welcome discussion on this issue.

Debra McKern
Binding Office
Library of Congress

                 Distributed: Saturday, October 2, 1993