Subject: Polaroid prints

Polaroid prints

From: Frank A. Reynolds <fr0c+>
Date: Monday, September 27, 1993
Am I correct that with Polaroid color films "marketed for the general
photographic public" each print has the developing chemicals in a very
thin pod incorporated in each individual print (or should I say each
sheet of film), that are spread out over the print when it is ejected?
If that is true, do Polaroid prints have a less stable chemical
composition than standard color prints do?   Would placing Polaroid
prints in a photographic collection pose any greater danger to other
prints in a collection than standard color prints?

Also if I am correct that the newer Polaroid films have a thin pod of
chemicals, the first of the new generation of Polaroid color films have
a chemical pod that can readily be seen from the back of one.  I think
it is called SX-70 film.  Are there any greater dangers with the prints
from this older film then from the newer ones?

Frank A. Reynolds
Hunt Institute

                Distributed: Tuesday, September 28, 1993