Subject: Gaylord collections conservation award

Gaylord collections conservation award

From: Lonnie Harvey <lonnie>
Date: Monday, September 20, 1993
Dear Walter,

Thank you for posting the press release about the Gaylord Collections
Conservation Award last week.  As it noted, the award is to support
professional development for a person engaged in the physical treatment
of general collections materials in libraries or archives.  Application
forms and information are available from the Gaylord Office in Syracuse,
800-428-6160.  If anyone has further questions after receiving these
materials, he or she may call me Thursdays or Fridays on the Gaylord
Preservation Help Line, 800-428-3631.  The applications will be judged
by Gaylord's Advisory Committee, which includes Jim Reilly, Jan
Merrill-Oldham, Gisela Noack, Miriam Kahn, Sally Buchanan, and myself.

Gaylord also has available two free publications in its series of
Pathfinder booklets on preservation topics.

     Pathfinder 1.  Introduction to Preservation
     (An annotated bibliography of basic readings)

     Pathfinder 2.  Archival Storage of Paper
     (A discussion of how to select enclosures and containers, followed
     by illustrated case studies that apply general principles to
     specific types of materials)

You may order copies from the Gaylord or the Help Line (callers may
leave their names on my message machine any time).  Multiple copies are
also available for Workshops by contacting John Boral at Gaylord.

The Help Line is available Thursdays and Fridays, 9 a.m.- 5 p.m.  It
provides an advisory service rather than sales information.  Much of my
time is spent helping the general public, genealogists, and archivists
and librarians who are grappling with preservation for the first time.
Saving newspapers, Civil War letters, and family scrapbooks are typical
questions.  If appropriate, I refer callers to AIC for the names of
conservators, or to regional centers, SAA, and other sources of
technical information.  I do not answer Help Line questions on email,
but am always glad to hear from colleagues on the 800 line.

Nancy Schrock

               Distributed: Thursday, September 23, 1993