Subject: Skum-X

Skum-X

From: Cathy Atwood <cb522>
Date: Saturday, September 18, 1993
   **** Moderator's comments:   I cobbled together this posting from
   three separate messages from Cathy. If I've mangled it beyond
   recognition, please blame me, not Cathy

At the AIC meeting in Denver, a notice about the "new" Skum-X was posted
on the bulletin board. The newest report from the CCI was very
disturbing in terms of its changed chemical content.  The particle size
on Skum-X was not its old reliable self--it now has very small
particles, and some "chunks". People using the product have noticed the
change as well.

For those of you who are concerned about the new formulation of Skum-X:
Dietzgen Corporation is responding to the comments of conservators and
draftspeople.  They have obtained new samples from their supplier...
I've talked to the marketing person at Skum-X, and gotten two new
samples.  Neither is satisfactory.  Andrea doesn't need any more people
to do tests on samples until the supplier gets closer to a better
product.  At that point she will welcome more specific input.  I just
wanted to do a general note now, since she has been getting letters of
concern.  Letters do make a difference!

There will be more news when there is more progress!

Cathy Atwood
Lincoln, Nebraska, U.S.A.

               Distributed: Thursday, September 23, 1993