Subject: Exhibition practices and guidelines

Exhibition practices and guidelines

From: Elizabeth Horn <ehorn>
Date: Thursday, September 16, 1993
As a masters of library science student at Indiana University, I am
currently doing a practicum with Jim Canary at the Lilly Library
focusing on exhibitions.  For this practicum, I will be researching
inhouse guidelines and organizational procedures being used today for
exhibit preparation, design and incumbent conservation concerns.  I am
particularly interested in how the planning, organization, design and
production of exhibits are being handled.  More specifically:

1.  Are computer diagrams of exhibit spaces being used in planning the
    layout of exhibits?

2.  How many and who among the staff are involved in the organization
    and implementation of an exhibit?  Who is the "exhibit designer?" Is
    a separate staff responsible only for exhibits?  Are committees
    used?

3.  At what stage and how are conservation considerations and activities
    handled?

4.  How are light levels and controls being dealt with?  Are
    incandescent or fluorescent lights being used?  How are fiber optics
    being incorporated?

5.  What kinds of book supports have been most satisfactory?  Are they
    being made by conservators or technicians?  Is there a prep
    department for their construction?

Any examples of complete guidelines and policies would be very
appreciated with the goal of making the results of my research,
including bibliography, available over the list.  Thanks very much!

Elizabeth Horn
Indiana University
Evermann #10
Bloomington  IN  47406

               Distributed: Thursday, September 23, 1993