Subject: Film base ID Chart

Film base ID Chart

From: Doug Nishimura <dwnpph>
Date: Wednesday, September 8, 1993
As if the last posting wasn't long winded enough, here's an addendum.
Barbara Brown brought to my attention the fact that I didn't mention the
film base identification guide that was created by Monique Fisher and
Andrew Robb.  This six page guide outlines basic handling, environment,
storage, duplication, rehousing and treatment (all in 2 pages).  The
remaining four pages take the reader through a logical step by step
system of base identification using edge printing, dating information,
deterioration characteristics and physical and chemical tests.  However,
this guide was produced as a "class" project for the Winterthur/Delaware
program so I wasn't sure who "owned" it and whether or not it was really
"public" information.   Monique (who is interning here at IPI for nine
months) has assured me that as far as she knew, she and Andrew retained
the rights to the guide and that there was no problem with publicizing
it.

The easiest place to find the guide is to check the AIC/PMG Topics in
Photographic Preservation, Volume Five (page 117.)  This guide was also
included in the Getty Photograph Preservation course last year (if you
know anyone who attended.)  Otherwise, it is not available anywhere
else.

-Doug
Image Permanence Institute

               Distributed: Thursday, September 16, 1993