Subject: Treatment time standards

Treatment time standards

From: Robert J. Milevski <milevski>
Date: Friday, August 27, 1993
We are in need of information about treatment time standards in effect
in other collections conservation or book repair or materials treatment
or collections maintenance programs in libraries. Specifically, we would
like to impose upon your graciousness and ask you to forward us (either
electronically or via snail mail) a copy of the time standards you have
instituted for yourself and your staff when typical treatments are
performed.  Such time standards are useful for managing a point system
as well as tracking individual staff and unit productivity.  For
example, we have determined that our staff should be able to case bind a
book within 105 minutes or perform a simple spine repair within 30
minutes.  We have a sheet which breaks down 35 various treatments and
enclosures performed at Princeton by ARL preservation statistics
reporting level and time standard.  If you do forward us anything,
please annotate it should you feel that the treatment name might not be
totally descriptive of what it really is.  If I get enough replies I
will chart out the standard times and post them on the DistList, with or
without institution affiliation named, as requested.  Should anyone wish
to receive a copy of our time standards, please drop me an electron or a
line at the address below.  Thank you for your interest in assisting us.

Robert J. Milevski
Preservation Librarian
Princeton University Libraries
One Washington Road
Princeton, New Jersey 08544
609-258-5591; fax, 609-258-4105 or -5571; email,

                 Distributed: Saturday, August 28, 1993