Subject: Wooden yardsticks

Wooden yardsticks

From: LoErna Simpson <simpsonl>
Date: Friday, July 30, 1993
cloth measuring devices, I would make these comments.  I am a textile
educator and textile conservator and do not work with paper.  In textile
testing, one would always use a metal measuring ruler, as over time
these remain consistent in their accurate measurement.  Wooden
yardsticks are sometimes used, but in textile conservation work there
would be concern that the wood would splinter so we would examine the
quality of the wood before using it.  Cloth measuring tapes stretch with
time and use--in just several months the 1 inch may become 1 1/16 inch,
etc.  Although cloth tapes are "comfortable" to use, I would never
recommend them, due to their inaccuracy. Any tool used around valuable
objects need to be used carefully, to avoid snagging.  But the purpose
of measuring to record a document's dimension is to do it accurately.
Therefore, a metal or wooden yardstick would be my choice!

LoErna Simpson
Asst. Prof. Textiles
Oregon State Univ.

                  Distributed: Tuesday, August 3, 1993