Subject: Nitrate film storage

Nitrate film storage

From: Richard Pearce-Moses <iacrpm>
Date: Friday, July 30, 1993
I was advised to avoid a frost free freezer for my nitrate negatives on
the grounds that they warm up for a period of time everyday to allow the
frost to melt away.  As a result, the environment is not stable.

We've had our freezer in place for two years and have yet to defrost it.
I'm sure this is because of Arizona's dry climate, based on the number
of times I have to defrost my fridge at home vs the frequency of the
same task when I lived back in Austin TX.   But, because we don't open
the thing that often there's less chance for air exchange and new
moisture to be introduced.

We use foil/paper laminate freezer pouches.  I would have expected those
to provide an adequate barrier against moisture within the freezer.
Experience to the contrary?

Richard Pearce-Moses
Curator of Photographs
Archives and Manuscripts