Subject: Gingko leaves and bookworms

Gingko leaves and bookworms

From: Cathy Atwood <cb522>
Date: Wednesday, July 21, 1993
I know that people in Japan have believed/do believe in gingko leaves as
a bookworm deterrent.  While I can not verify that the leaf works, I do
have notes on four books (3 titles) which had a gingko leaf inserted.
All are now held by a library in Chicago, and have been in that
institution for at least 80 years.  I am reasonably sure that the leaves
were not placed in the books by their current owner!  I think it is
interesting that each volume had only one gingko leaf, so it must have
been considered powerful.  The damage which is noted could have happened
before or after the leaf was put in the book.

a) 1834, side sewn, printed volumes--textblocks have minor wormholes

b) approx. 1600, sewn thru the fold, manuscript volume--a little insect
damage was noted

c) 1653, side sewn, printed volume--I did not put any record of insect
damage in my notes, which should mean that there wasn't any damage

Just another fascinating aspect of traditional Japanese books...

Cathy Atwood

                  Distributed: Thursday, July 22, 1993