Subject: Flood damage in midwest

Flood damage in midwest

From: Karen Motylewski <nedcc>
Date: Wednesday, July 21, 1993
This is extremely informal and may be inaccurate, but early reports are
that there is relatively little damage to collections in the midwest.
Ray Vignovich at the West Des Moines Public Library has published a
preliminary list of damage to public libraries in Iowa: a few could not
be reached, but only Eddyville Public Library was thought to have
suffered severe collections flooding.

There was one unverified report that the library at Iowa State U at Ames
had severe flooding.  I don't know about Grinnell College in Davenport,
which has significant library collections.

I have talked to Forrest Bailey at Nelson Atkins Museum, and Barbara
Roberts, who was temporarily at the Toledo Art Museum, and other AIC
sources.  As of a couple of days ago, there were no accounts of severe
museum involvements.

The Iowa state archives reported they had had to relocate some
collections, which they did successfully.  To their knowledge, only Polk
County Archives had suffered significant damage, but they did not have
information for all city public records offices.

I'm trying to relay information to those interested, and would be
grateful if anyone can update me.

Karen Motylewski
Northeast Document Conservation Center
508-470-1010