Subject: Leather consolidants

Leather consolidants

From: Kim Koons <kjkoons>
Date: Monday, July 19, 1993
I am searching for a current source (or substitute) for the leather
consolidator Pliantex.  Granted, it is nasty stuff, and the only
American distributors I know of have washed their hands of it.  I wonder
if it is still in general use, or, if not, if anyone has devised a
serviceable/less toxic substitute?

   **** Moderator's comments:
   Pliantex and Pliansolve (as well as Pliantine (British Museum Leather
   Dressing) are listed in Conservation Resources International, Inc.'s
   1993 Technical Equipment and Supplies catalog.

       8000-H Forbes Place
       Springfield, VA  22151
       Fax: 703-321-0629

   I just picked up this catalog last month at the AIC meeting, so it
   should be up-to-date.

Kim Koons
Lilly Library, Indiana University

                 Distributed: Wednesday, July 21, 1993