Subject: Paper for wet collections

Paper for wet collections

From: John E. Simmons <pendejo>
Date: Wednesday, July 14, 1993
We are searching for a paper stock which will withstand submersion in
water and 70% ethyl alcohol solutions.  This is to be used to make field
tags for vertebrate specimens, thus the paper must be strong enough to
withstand having a small hole punched in it and a string tied though it
to attach it to the specimen.  Our previous supply of an unknown but
very durable paper is exhausted, and our Printing Service is
recommending that we try Strathmore Museum Board, 2 ply (0.0305"+/-
0.015"), 100% cotton fiber, acid free, buffered with 2% calcium
carbonate.  Does anyone have experience with this paper in fluids?  The
available weights of the proven Byron-Weston Resistal paper are too thin
for our purposes (though we use this paper for labels inside jars).
Also, our Printing Service is now using soybean ink.  Has anyone used
soybean based inks in fluid?  Any observations, ideas, or advice will be
appreciated.

John Simmons
Division of Herpetology
Museum of Natural History