Subject: Colored Japanese paper

Colored Japanese paper

From: Frederick Bearman <fb22>
Date: Tuesday, July 13, 1993
In answer to Gudrun Aurand's question on dying Japanese paper,  watered
down acrylics work well.  I use Golden brand, at present I have found it
impossible to get technical information from the manufactures about what
acrylic resin, fillers, additives... etc  they are using.  Mix the
appropriate color, and water it down to the consistency of heavy cream.
Put the tissue on a piece of mylar and brush the color on one side,
smoothing out any wrinkles.  Peel off the tissue just before it is
completely dry.  The side of the tissue that is against the mylar forms
a film that prevents PVA from seeping through the top surface when the
tissue is applied.  If a whitish edge is present after the tissue is
torn, it can be pared away.  If appearance is important, a second coat
can be applied once the tissue is on the book, making sure not to paint
any of the original leather or cloth.

Jeffrey Peachey
Conservation Lab
Columbia University