Subject: Marking microfilm

Marking microfilm

From: Merrily Smith <nppo>
Date: Wednesday, July 7, 1993
The Library of Congress has been marking its service-copy microfilm with
a perforating machine that punches out the letters "LC".  The machine
was designed to perforate paper, not film.  With the increasing use of
polyester as a film base we find that the perforator sometimes fails to
perforate cleanly, which creates cut edges that are out of plane with
the rest of the film strip.  Also, a recently purchased perforating
machine leaves a slight oil residue on the film that only show up when a
finger is rubbed over it. We aren't satisfied with this perforating
system for marking service-copy microfilm and would be interested in
learning how other institutions are marking their film to show
ownership.

Merrily A. Smith
National Preservation Program Office

                  Distributed: Thursday, July 8, 1993