Subject: Collections conservation

Collections conservation

From: Gillian Boal <gboal>
Date: Friday, July 2, 1993
To add to the fray:

ownership of the term' I would like to state the problem as I see it as
one of semantics. (As is the controversy over the AIC code of ethics)
The meaning of the term, as I understand it, is the conservation of a
collection. There are different collections within a library: special
collections, general collections, circulating collections, rare
collections. The term collection conservation treatment would therefore
reflect the type of treatment given to a specific type of collection.
E.g. I work with Special Collections. I do special collections
conservation treatment which entails treating batches of materials and
materials singly(otherwise known as single item treatment) as befits the
context defined by the institution.

The other meaning of the term, as I think I understand it, is that
collection conservation treatment is for batched material only with
restricted choices of treatment - single item treatment cannot be
included. If there was a need to establish this distinction it might be
less confusing to contextualize it in its type of collection say general
collection and to name it batched treatment. I would ask that we stop
taking opposing sides and step back to encompass all conservators (Like
Robert Espinosa suggested a while back)
and rename ourselves

Library Conservators--General Collections
Library Conservators--Special Collections--Books/Paper
Archival Conservators--Photos/Books/Paper

I treat my collection as a whole and the fact that I do single item
treatment is part of my special collection conservation treatment.
Please don't use the term differently and exclude what I do!

                  Distributed: Thursday, July 8, 1993