Subject: Respirators

Respirators

From: Hilary A. Kaplan <bm.gsk>
Date: Wednesday, June 23, 1993
I'd like to offer a few comments on respiratory protection. While anyone
can open up a catalog and purchase a respirator from the numerous supply
catalogs available, making use of that equipment is somewhat involved.
Respirators need to be *fit tested* to ensure that the individual
wearing the device is being properly protected and is not inadvertently
breathing in contaminants.

Earlier this month I spent three days attending Georgia Tech's
Occupational Respiratory Protection Program. While I certainly acquired
much more information than I will ever need or use (needless to say, I
was the only conservator in a group dominated by folks from industries
like aviation, textiles, and asbestos abatement) I gained a wealth of
very practical and useful information. I did discuss the possibility of
a workshop tailored to conservation personnel, and the workshop
instructor would be willing to consider such an event for the future. I
would be very eager for anyone interested in attending such a workshop
or who would like additional information to contact me personally at
bm.gsk@rlg.

Hilary A. Kaplan
Conservator
Georgia Department of Archives and History

                   Distributed: Sunday, June 27, 1993