Subject: Food and drink in the library

Food and drink in the library

From: Jessie Meltzer <mscpestmgr>
Date: Wednesday, June 23, 1993
At the Smithsonian Institution's Museum Support Center we have both a
pest management policy and a food/beverage restriction policy. They work
together to protect both people and objects (books included) Any area
that has objects and collections stored or worked on are restricted. So
Laboratories, storage areas and libraries can never be designated food
or beverage areas since it might put the collections at risk. we also do
not allow plants or cut flowers in the building as they can provide food
and harborage for insects.

   **** Moderator's comments: If anyone has policies of this sort in
   written form, please contribute them to Conservation OnLine. (Just
   email them to waiscool [at] aldus__stanford__edu)

In most cases it is habit not need to have food or drinks while working
at ones work area. It does not really take much time to go into another
area to eat. For example in most building all the smokers have to go
outside. and eating food is not that different.

Jessie Meltzer
Pest Manager
Museum Support Center

                   Distributed: Sunday, June 27, 1993