Subject: Paperback binding

Paperback binding

From: Barbara Szalkowski <72234.1472>
Date: Wednesday, June 16, 1993
We have recently created a Preservation Committee, and we are
reevaluating our paperback binding policy. Currently, we only bind
paperbacks which cost more than a set amount, unless a book is expected
to get a high use. We also are inconsistent about binding donation
paperbacks, since they don't cost us anything. We currently send our
paperbacks to our regular binder to be "plastic bound".

I made this request on Autocat, and a couple of members referred me to
this list as we are especially interested in evaluating paperback
binding from a preservation standpoint.

Are there other/better methods of binding paperbacks, or any wisdom on
what criteria should be used to decide what paperbacks to bind,
considering both cost and preservation concerns?

   **** Moderator's comments:
   The following query comes from a person who is not on the DistList
   and will not see any responses that are posted here.  Please respond
   directly to sender

Barbara Szalkowski
Catalog Librarian
South Texas College of Law