Subject: Mold

Mold

From: Karen Motylewski <nedcc>
Date: Thursday, June 17, 1993
Mold is a legitimate health concern for staff working with moldy
materials, and can increase the vulnerability of all collections as spores
are disseminated through handling.  If you have excellent temp and RH
control, the collections are protected to some extent, but staff is still
a worry.  A few molds are toxic, and many people are allergic to molds.
Repeated, chronic, or massive exposure can increase sensitivity.  We'd
recommend anyone working with the materials use NIOSH-approved respiratory
protection for toxic dusts (see safety suppliers like Lab Safety Supply,
1-800-356-0783).  Id you'd like the NEDCC handout on salvage of moldy
paper, send me an e-mail with your address.

Karen Motylewski
Northeast Document Conservation Center

                  Distributed: Saturday, June 19, 1993