Subject: AIC Code of Ethics revision

AIC Code of Ethics revision

From: Irene McMorland <libim>
Date: Friday, June 18, 1993
>  12. Adverse Commentary: Except when nondisclosure may endanger
>  cultural property, the conservation professional should not volunteer
>  adverse judgment or comment on the work of another. A conservation
>  professional should provide advice for those seeking relief against
>  negligent or unethical practices. All comments must be based on facts
>  and personal knowledge rather than on hearsay.

I think this first sentence is too vague. "Adverse comment" could cover
a lot of different statements, made in very different circumstances.
This clause might also be a prior restraint on free speech. "Advice" is
vague too. A conservation professional could give advice on how to use
conservation methods to repair the misdeeds of negligent and unethical
conservators (though apparently not while making adverse comments about
them) but they can only give information about, say, suing the negligent
person for damages. Only an attorney can give legal advice. Similarly
only a physician can make diagnoses and give individual treatment advice
to someone who has suffered as a result of a conservator's use of
hazardous materials or methods.

Irene McMorland
Emory University, Atlanta, Georgia, 30322

                  Distributed: Saturday, June 19, 1993