Subject: Plants in the library

Plants in the library

From: Sally Buchanan <sb>
Date: Wednesday, May 26, 1993
One problem about plants in the library that I am aware of is that they
can create a small but potentially problematic mini-environment of high
humidity. Once saw a slide library where ferns hanging nearby created
within the slide storage cabinets such a high humidity - gradually and
over time - that mold eventually erupted throughout the collection. The
humidity in the larger room itself was within limits - but when we
tested it inside a cabinet, it was close to 100%. This could happen, I
suppose around computer equipment as well. I would feel secure about
plants only in well-ventilated areas away from collections and sensitive
equipment.

                  Distributed: Thursday, May 27, 1993