Subject: Container for Sumerian tablet

Container for Sumerian tablet

From: Wendy Jones <wajones>
Date: Tuesday, May 25, 1993
We have received a Sumerian tablet (pillow shaped, 2" x 3") for
rehousing. It is currently in a jewelry box of solid clamshell
construction--lined with faux velvet.  This is in an acidic box with a
typed transcription, all of which is placed in an even larger, more
acidic, box.

Does anyone have suggestions for securely housing the clay tablet in a
cushioned, protective environment?  We would prefer to be able to keep
the paperwork with the artifact.  Thank you for your thoughts on this.

Wendy Jones
Conservation Treatment Supervisor
Margaret B. Harrison Preservation Dept.
Shields Library