Subject: Mothballs

Mothballs

From: Everett C. Wilkie Jr. <everett>
Date: Monday, May 17, 1993
Today I took delivery of the archives of the Hartford-based Friday Club,
which were delivered to me in a suitcase.  The archives consist mostly
of bound minute and record books, 1884-1975.  There are about 25 of
them.  I know this from *very* hasty examination.  What I looked at was
in sound condition.

When I opened the suitcase, the smell of mothballs, no longer present I
quickly determined, overwhelmed me.  A few quick seconds of looking, to
determine what is related in the first paragraph, and I slammed the
suitcase shut.  And there it sits.

What do I do now?  This is a new one on me.  I have never encountered
materials in a literal mothball environment.  Any special precautions I
should take before I put this material in the stacks?  Any damage that
is likely to have been done to the material by the mothballs?  The
suitcase is of no concern--it is as good as in the Dumpster.

Everett Wilkie

                   Distributed: Monday, May 17, 1993