Subject: Aher

Aher

From: Joan ten Hoor <76636.3506>
Date: Tuesday, April 13, 1993
We are looking for information about aher, a (or the) traditional
fixative used for Turkish marbled papers.  We have a recipe that calls
for a hand-held block of alum to stir egg whites, which are allowed to
rest, and then sprayed onto the sheet.

Help from experience with aher's use, history, recipes, would be
appreciated, but we are particularly concerned about the long-term
effects.  So actual testing references and first-hand experiences would
be especially helpful, but any thoughts will be appreciated.

We are considering other methods of fixing and the possibility of
leaving the sheets "as is."  Comments?

                   Distributed: Friday, May 14, 1993