Subject: Security strips

Security strips

From: Judy McQueen <mcqueen.widener1>
Date: Friday, April 16, 1993
I am investigating the selection and use of security strips/targets,
looking for research, standards, and practical hints/tips on the
application and effects of targets on library materials, particularly
those intended for long-term retention.

At this stage, I think I've uncovered most of what is available, but
would like to do a final check to make sure that I am not missing
anything of significance.  I am particularly interested in finding out
what work in being done in the UK and elsewhere in Europe.

As the literature and research specifically on security targets is
sparse, I am also interested in material on barcodes and other
pressure-sensitive labels hoping to find information that is
transferrable to security targets.  The long-term retention angle means
that material on the effects of preservation procedures for mass
deacidification, mass paper strengthening, and the like are also of
interest.

[To date I've reviewed: the North American literature and back files of
this list; the Metropolitan Toronto and Library of Congress RFPs; the
National Library of Medicine's current procurement, the Canadian
Conservation Institute's recent report on adhesives, and the work of the
ASTM standards committee on adhesives.]

Any and all leads would be appreciated.  Thanks for your help,

Judy McQueen
Harvard College Library
(617) 496-8580

                 Distributed: Wednesday, April 21, 1993