Subject: Preservation microfilm queuing

Preservation microfilm queuing

From: Paul Conway <pconway>
Date: Wednesday, April 14, 1993
I am exploring the use of various techniques for avoiding avoid
duplication of effort in preservation microfilming, including the RLIN
queue and OCLC pre-cataloging.  Recognizing that current RLG project
guidelines require the use of the queue, I am focusing directly on
NEH-sponsored brittle books projects.

I invite project managers to message me directly with answers to the
following questions.  I will summarize the responses and report the
findings to the list and elsewhere, as appropriate. All responses will
be kept confidential.

1) At the present time, do you queue records as part of your
preservation microfilming process?

2) If you do not presently use the RLIN queuing system, have you ever
utilized it in the past?  If yes, why did you stop queuing?

3) In the past five years (if your memory or records permit)
approximately how many items have you or your staff removed from your
processing workflow because you found the item _queued_ in RLIN by
another library?  Exclude from your estimate items pulled because
_microfilm exists_ at another institution.

4) Please provide any additional comments about your use of the
queuing, pre-cataloging, and other techniques, including informal
communication among peers, that you utilize to avoid duplication
of effort.

Paul Conway
Head, Preservation Department
Yale University Library