Subject: 3rd Joint Technical Symposium Proceedings

3rd Joint Technical Symposium Proceedings

From: Mark Ritchie <avfilm>
Date: Saturday, April 10, 1993
The proceedings of the 3rd Joint Technical Symposium on Archiving The
Audio-Visual Heritage have been published. (I just received mine). ISBN
1 873902 02 6  Editor George Boston 192pp  illus.

It should be available from the National Archives, Audio-Visual Section
and the Library of Congress.  Sorry I don't have a price.

It has an excellent explanation of the processes involved in "Vinegar
Syndrome" and the degradation of Polyester based stock.  It also has
sections on optical media and cd-rom preservation.

Session titles :

Problems Facing Archives and Long Term Storage in Countries with Adverse
    Conditions

Breakdown of the Components of Signal Carriers with Age

Stability and Preservation of Image Layers in Photographic Film

Deterioration of Polymers in Audio-Visual Materials

Simulated Aging of Processed Cellulose Triacetate Motion Picture Films

The Archival Stability of Metal Particle Tapes

The Life Expectancy of Optical Recordings

A Study of the Preservation of Compact Discs

New Carriers

Do We Have Format Standards Suitable for Long Term Storage of
    Audio-Visual and Film Materials?

The Practice of Signal Carrier Restoration

A Comparison of the Restoration of a Nitrate Film by Traditional Methods
    and by the Use of Digital Videotape

Is a Multi-Media Format or System for Audio-Visual Materials a Practical
    Proposition?

Consultation of Users and Manufacturers of Technical Equipment

Mark Ritchie
Media Librarian
Audio-Visual Centre
University of Waterloo