Subject: pH and mold

pH and mold

From: Maggie Young <myoung>
Date: Thursday, April 8, 1993
between pH and mold growth, I'd like to offer the following:

During the course of a student research project on a related issue (mold
resistance of alkalized starch pastes), I came across an article by
Panasenko, "Ecology of Microfungi" (The Botanical Review, v33, #3,
July-September, 1967, pp 189-215).  Panasenko gives a list of common
species of microfungi, and the pH ranges at which they grow.  Most
species, including the ubiquitous Aspergillus niger, can grow at pH
values up to 10.  This agreed with my results (such as they were), that
alkalizing paste didn't discourage A. niger (or Penicillium, or yeast)
much, if at all.

Hope this is of some use

Maggie Young
Conservation Intern