Subject: Mold

Mold

From: Karen Motylewski <nedcc>
Date: Thursday, March 25, 1993
Abbey News (v.12, #5, p.88: July 88) published a note on the
observations of someone named Len Nissenson, (a records manager for
Orange Co., CA) re protecting wet paper from mold by raising its pH or
spraying it with alcohol.  I asked for and read his description of the
"research" at the time, and then apparently tossed it.  The question has
just been raised again by a client, and I wonder if anyone knows of any
research from a dependable source on the relationship between pH (at a
level appropriate to paper preservation) and mold.  What I've been able
to turn up suggests we don't really know very much about this, molds
differ, and nothing you can say about conditions for mold growth is
universally accurate.  Thanks in advance.

Karen Motylewski
Northeast Document Conservation Center

                  Distributed: Sunday, March 28, 1993