Subject: Humidification

Humidification

From: Dean DeBolt <ddebolt>
Date: Tuesday, March 23, 1993
We solved our problem of unfolding a huge group of newspapers from the
1920s by simply using an envelope sealer.  This is a little plastic tube
with a square/pointed sponge on the end--available at stationary stores.
You fill the tube with water, moisten the sponge and use it to wipe
paper. We found it provided just enough moisture to penetrate the folds,
but not totally liquid/dampen them.  We ran this device along the folds
of the newspapers; waited a bit, and then carefully opened up the paper.
It seemed to work like a charm and most of the paper has no humidity
introduced into it.  Since the fold areas have no printing, we don't
have a problem of inks (not likely with the oil-based ink).   The papers
are not really flat, so we place them in large folders, stack them and
let their own weight finish the flattening.

Dean DeBolt,
University of West Fla.

                  Distributed: Sunday, March 28, 1993