Subject: Storage of prints and negatives

Storage of prints and negatives

From: Antoinette Padgett <padgett>
Date: Thursday, March 11, 1993
I am responsible for archival of sidescan sonar data collected from the
seafloor and prints and negatives of these images. Presently, the prints
and negatives are hanging in two "tub" files; the files themselves are a
bit archaic, having belonged to one of the first woman scientists to map
the ocean floor.  My employer bought these files from her and was keen to
use them rather than storing the prints and negatives flat, so I developed
a system for hanging them in mylar L-velopes attached to plastic strips.
When I was away for a year, a co-worker applied adhesive-backed foam rubber
strips along the inside of the lids of the tub files, apparently to keep
the system totally sealed. On one of the files which is not accessed
frequently, deterioration is minimal, however, the strips in the other file
have totally deteriorated and there are bits of black foam everywhere. Does
anyone know of a similar product which could be used under the lids which
would not deteriorate?

My other problem is storage of the actual data, which is not lightsafe. The
sidescan mosaics (18-24") are stored in boxes which are stacked on shelves
beneath a table in our lab so that they can be accessed periodically for
research purposes. The same individual mentioned above constructed a
curtain which encircles the table to protect the boxes from both light and
dust.  The fabric is coated with some sort of red plastic or vinyl on one
side which has begun to deteriorate. As a result, a red substance is being
deposited on both the shelves and the boxes. Does anyone know of an
appropriate fabric that would minimize light penetration, or of some sort
of lightsafe bags that the boxes could be stored in? Any ideas or
information would be appreciated.

Antoinette Padgett
Cartographic Assistant
Department of Geological Sciences